Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jailbroken!

I've always ignored comments and posts I read on techie sites that I should jailbreak my Apple devices to get the best out of them. I thought, if the thing isn't broken, why bother changing it? Indeed, I've been very happy with my iPhone and iPad (and my iPods as well) and I saw no reason to tinker with them beyond what Apple officially allows.

Then one day, I came across this irresistible post in FlipBoard that said all it takes to jailbreak is just one click. At jailbreakme.com, the process is entirely automated; you just have to click on one button and it's done--no need to manually download or install any program or change the settings. It even works for the latest iOS version and the iPads. And it's risk-free because you can restore your device anytime (to the previous un-jailbroken state) through iTunes. And so I was convinced.

I first jailbroke my iPhone. It was a very easy process, as promised. No glitches, though I didn't know what to do afterwards and what Cydia apps to get.

I started with the easiest modifications possible. I downloaded some themes and ringtunes. Again, it was pretty easy to do, though it was time-consuming because everytime I changed into a new theme, the iPhone had to be restarted. Aside from that, the process was uncomplicated. And I loved the new looks provided by the installed themes. After a while, the original interface does become dull and boring. With the themes, your iPhone also looks different from all other iPhones.

Next, I jailbroke my Ipad. Again, it was easy, though there aren't very many free iPad themes available compared to iPhone themes. But I'm happy that my jailbroken iPad now looks distinct from the run-of-the-mill iPad interface. (Mababaw lang ang kaligayahan ko.)

I also installed Activator, an app that lets you assign commands or actions to specific gestures or buttons. With it, you can choose the Home button, for instance, to do whatever command you wish to associate it with. On my iPad, clicking and holding down the Home button now automatically turns off the device, something I couldn't do previously.

There are other Cydia apps I wish to try, especially the one which allows unrestricted transfer of all files between a PC and any iDevice. In the meantime, I'm happy with the new themes I have on my iPhone. Here are some of their screenshots:


The "Picnic" Theme. This is my kids' favorite.


"Buuf2"


"Glasklart." One of the most popular iPhone themes.


"High Tech Clover." I like this because it's simple and clean.


"Touchit." Another favorite of mine.

No comments: