Tuesday, November 22, 2011

All Set for a 21k?

How I wish I could put an exclamation point at the end of that title. But as things stand, my readiness for a 21k race is a giant question mark right now. My last run was 20 days ago. Since then, I stopped training because of a leg injury, although I tried to stay active by playing badminton once or twice a week. I resumed running just this morning with a leisurely 10k on the treadmill. Race day is roughly 13 days from now, I am woefully undertrained, and I don't feel confident at all that I can pull off a 21k. Why, oh why, didn't I just sign up for a 10k??? Or even a 5k?

Well, I know the answer to that one. I love challenges, even if they kill me (literally). My bravado and bahala-na-si-Batman attitude often gets me in trouble, but I admit the payoff can also be very gratifying. I loooove the feeling of getting away with something, of finishing a race despite being ill-prepared. Of course, with the gratification also come a slow finish time, painful cramps, sore muscles, and a limp for days post-race. I have read somewhere that runners are secretly masochists, and I have I feeling that's exactly true in my case. (Even my running playlist reflects this--John Cougar Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" on my iPod pumps me up on every run.)

The 21k race I registered for is the Quezon City International Marathon (QCIM). It's a yearly event that I look forward to, primarily because of its accessibility. Most races are held in Fort Bonifacio, which is too far from where I live. QCIM starts at the Quezon City Hall, and goes through the long stretch of Commonwealth Avenue, into the Eco-Park at La Mesa Dam. It's a runner's dream to have one whole side of Commonwealth Ave. (equivalent to maybe 6 lanes) cleared of all vehicular traffic on race day and devoted exclusively to runners. Apart from this, the QCIM is usually very well managed, with plenty of water stations (this is a must!), adequate kilometer markers, and efficient race marshals.

The race kit includes a shirt, not a singlet this time. I think that's nice for a change. I would have appreciated though if they have the shirt in smaller sizes. I got the small size, but it's still a teeny bit big for me, maybe equivalent to medium or large for other shirts.

The race also includes a Strider Tag as a timing device. It's my first time to see a timing chip that's as thin as a strip of paper. Last year's timing device for the QCIM was a circular plastic thingy roughly the size of an old one-peso coin.

This will be my third 21k race. Incidently, it's also the third year of QCIM. I don't expect a faster finish time or new PR. I just hope to finish, even if that means I have to walk and crawl part of the way :-)


1 comment:

Nora, the golden girl said...

Are you sure you're ready to run 21k this Sunday MJ? Don't forget: Stubbornness is not synonymous with perseverance.

Whatever you decide, you have my support. Take care, my friend.