Saturday, December 31, 2011

Goodbye, 2011

There's barely an hour left of 2011. The kids are playing Wii, there are sounds of fireworks outside, and I'm feeling sleepy. We should have gone to bed, but the kids want to stay awake until midnight, and maybe light some sparklers and watch the fireworks outside. We generally don't make a big deal of the holidays, and it's rare that they make a request like they did tonight, to usher in the new year. When they do, I acquiesce.

We're bidding goodbye to 2011, which has been a blessed year for us. We've had no major problems. We've been healthy and well. We've finally accepted and grown comfortable with the fact that their dad isn't going to be with us anymore. We're happy and well looked after. The kids even got a number of awards in school and I'm one proud mama. They're smart, well behaved, responsible, and good kids. Of that, I'm very grateful for.

But right now, what I want to leave behind in 2011 is this dang toothache that's been showing up on and off in the past few days. Blame it on all the sweets and holiday food I've been indulging in. I've already taken two paracetamols since this afternoon, and the pain has subsided somewhat, but it's still here. What's aggravating it is the noise that's all around. Well, it's New Year's Eve, so I can't do anything about the noise.

I'd love to make a thoughtful summing up of the year's that about to be gone forever, but I'm hardly in a thinking mood. What I know is we've been very blessed, and I am very thankful.

I don't know what to expect in the new year, with all the rumors, End of Days predictions, and the very real calamities that have been happening within and outside the country. I confess I am dreading some sort of cataclysm; if and when it comes, I hope we can weather it and survive intact as a family.

Goodbye, 2011. (And please take this toothache with you as you leave.)

Thank You, Great Spirit, for watching over us and keeping us safe and happy.

Hello, 2012. We don't know what the future holds, but we can only hope for the best. Whatever happens, may we remain thankful always, appreciating both the little and big blessings that come our way, especially the blessing of Life and togetherness.

No comments: