Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Top Ten!

My girls were dismissed from school early today because of Ms. Marce, bless her soul. I don't know who's happier when classes get suspended, me or my girls. But this time, there's even more reason to be happy, courtesy of a piece of paper my girls showed me when they got home.

It was Alden who first gave me a little slip of paper saying I'm invited  to their school's First Quarter Recognition Day because she's in the Top Ten in her grade level! I wasn't really surprised, because I knew she'd be in the Top Ten, as she consistently is. But of course I was very happy.

Then Jigme showed me her own invitation slip. Yippee!

I waited for Rajni to give me her good news as well, but she was quiet. I waited for maybe half an hour; nothing happened. When I couldn't stand it anymore, I gently asked Raj if she had something to tell me about school. Her face was blank.

"Are you in the Top Ten this quarter?" I prodded.

"No, Ma."

I patted her back and said, "That's alright. But let's study harder this time around, okey?"

She nodded and continued to look at her computer screen.

I felt a bit sad for her. Her sisters getting into the honor list must be difficult if she herself is not in it. I don't mind too much that she isn't academically excelling, but I don't want her to feel inferior to her siblings. So I continued to assure her that it was fine, no worries, it's cool especially since there are three more quarters ahead to make better grades. She seemed to be okey, so I finally left her alone.

Moments later, Raj tossed a crumpled piece of paper at me--and it was her own invitation to the recognition ceremony! Hah! She was just pulling my leg earlier. She too made it to the Top Ten in her grade level.

You got me, Raj.





No comments: